Dealmaking: tomorrow's opportunity, today

By Michael Sonego - March 27, 2018

As the world economy strengthens, and business confidence builds, 2018 is shaping up to be the year of the deal. For savvy organisations, now is the time to look at inorganic growth strategies and capitalise on the opportunities available for the taking.

In the recently published Dealmakers: Mid-market M&A In Australia 2018 report produced by Pitcher Partners in conjunction with Mergermarket, survey findings indicate that 78% of respondents expect deal activity levels to increase on the record-making 2017 year, with the remaining 22% saying they will remain at least as high.

This raises many opportunities for Australia’s mid-market, especially those in fragmented sectors undergoing consolidations in the pursuit of the all-elusive growth. In today’s digital economy, mid-market companies which lack the clout of large cap corporations often stand to benefit from merging with industry peers who can open up new market segments and geographies.

Our findings show the technology, media and telecommunications (TMT), consumer, and financial services are tipped to be the top 3 sectors for 2018.

Fragmented industry sectors and sub-sectors, such as TMT and consumer, will present prime opportunities for dealmakers as companies attempt to protect and enhance the size and scale of their business reach.

Key drivers for mid-market M&A in Australia in 2018 are expected to be low organic growth conditions, all-time low interest rates and ever-changing technology underpinned by growing confidence within the Australian business sector.

A full copy of the report can be downloaded here.

Contact our experts

Other articles


Top of Page


Rob Southwell

Rob Southwell's picture


Managing Partner and Partner – Private Business and Family Advisory

> View profile

Nigel Fischer

Nigel Fischer's picture


Managing Partner - Private Business and Family Advisory

> View profile

Michael Minter

Michael Minter's picture


Managing Partner

> View profile

Leon Mok

Leon Mok's picture


Managing Director

> View profile

Brendan Britten

Brendan Britten's picture


Managing Partner and Executive Director/Partner- Business Advisory and Assurance

> View profile

Ben Brazier

Ben Brazier's picture


Managing Principal

> View profile

Partnership fraud


Paperwork and independent advice saves partnerships from fraud

Discover more

Kia Ora Horse Stud


Pitcher Partners fills a Financial Manager gap to keep the business on track

Discover more

Fuel Injection Company Administration


A fuel injection company began life as an Australian public company before being acquired by a UK publicly listed company while in the research and development stage of a “green...

Discover more

@PitcherPartner TOOLS DOWN? | With the recent announcement of stage 4 lockdown for Melb, a range of restrictions have been put in p…